With stay-at-home orders in place for all of us, many of us are realizing that cooking is kind of relaxing and entertaining. Some might even consider becoming a Chef after all of this is over! Ok, we won’t go that far. However, if you are looking for new recipes to make at home then you have come to the right place!
Our Mija Chef will be providing us with recipes from her cookbook and recipes she’s found online as well in hopes of helping you surprise your family with some nice home cooked meals.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
1 Rotisserie Chicken (cut or shredded)
1 bag of mixed vegetables (12 oz.)
1/2 cup of sliced celery
1 cup of potatoes cut in cubes (2 medium potatoes)
1/3 cup of butter
1/3 cup of chopped onions
1/3 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of celery seed
1 3/4 cups of chicken broth
2/3 cup of milk
2 (9 inch.) unbaked pie crusts
1 egg white
Substitute ingredients above for Vegan butter, Soy milk (or almond, cashew or any other non-dairy milk) vegetable broth and coconut cooking spray on crust instead of egg whites.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a saucepan, cook cut up potatoes for 20 minutes.
- In another saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.
- Once thick enough, add your chicken, vegetables and potatoes to the mixture.
- Place chicken mixture to unbaked pie crusts. Cover with top crust, seal edges and cut away excess dough. Be sure to make several small slits on top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until pie is golden brown. 10 minutes before pie is done, brush egg white on top of the pie crust to give it a shiny golden brown crust.
- Let pie cool off and then, ENJOY!
1 cup of butter (at room temperature)
2 cups of sugar
6 large bananas (shredded)
1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
4 cups of flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth
- Beat the mixture with the 4 eggs together (DO NOT USE A MIXER)
- Add the bananas and chopped nuts to the mixture and make sure all ingredients are mixed well.
- Mix all remaining, dry ingredients into a separate bowl and mix it well to make sure the baking soda is mixed well with the flour and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the rest of the mixture. Stirring well until all is blended. Mixture should be pretty thick.
- Place mixture in whatever size pan you choose and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
One thought on “Mija, yes you can cook!”
LikeLiked by 1 person